Intellectual Property, Entertainment, Media and Sports
CQ Legal is synonymous with Intellectual Property, Entertainment, Media and Sports (IPEMS). This is largely due to our strength, in-depth knowledge, and substantial presence in these fields. We have been the forerunners in these fields and we continue to make strides in our dealings with clients.
Our work covers the full range of issues that arise in these sectors, including:
- Advertising and Marketing
- Film and Television Production
- Copyright, Trademark, Patent and Industrial Designs
We specialize in all aspects of Intellectual Property including advising, protection and commercialization. We aid our clients in patentability search, drafting and filing of patent applications, copyright protection, registration and licensing of trademarks and designs and drafting Intellectual Property agreements. Our team of lawyers also advise our clients on how to protect their economic and moral rights, and deal with cases of infringement and breaches of IP rights in the courts of Ghana, the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (registration of technology transfer agreements) and other relevant institutions.
Our lawyers have provided strategic advice and counsel to a wide range of clients in the music and television arenas. Some of our representative work includes:
- Negotiation and preparation of recording and television agreements
- Advising clients on venture and production funds
- Acquisition and disposition of content, and marketing and promotional agreements
- Negotiating sponsorship and endorsement deals on their behalf
- Advising clients with respect to their rights and other issues under the various guild and union agreements.
- Drafting license agreements and
- Resolving a range of related commercial and dispute resolution matters, and complex disputes
The media space is evolving and so are the laws that govern them. We are guided by the shift into innovation within this sector from the creation of content, distribution, digital commerce, data, and media technology and are very insightful and dynamic in this space. We therefore help clients navigate the legal and regulatory hurdles associated with the evolving laws and leverage platform benefits to assist in maximizing all revenue streams.
From startups to national media conglomerates, our clients seek our counsel for a number of needs including:
- Strategic consulting, including identifying strategic opportunities
- Negotiation and structuring of ventures
- Trademark and copyright use, licensing, and infringement
- Marketing, branded entertainment and promotion initiatives
We also have growing experience representing a variety of sports industry individuals and entities, including professional and amateur athletes, sports agents, sports and marketing agencies and related companies.
We advise our clients on settlement agreement negotiations and termination of professional player contracts, advising sports agencies and player management companies on commercial, employment law and regulatory issues.
We hope to expand our expertise to work that include, corporate law advice on sport company mergers and acquisition, advising on club constitutional issues, shareholder and financing agreements, and advising sports professionals on intellectual property protection and image rights.
We have worked with a plethora of entertainers and media personalities and houses from the Ghanaian Entertainment and Media Industry and our clientele is gradually increasing.
Our clients from the entertainment and media industry include:
- Kwesi Arthur
- Bisa K. Dei
- Reggie Rockstone
- Mona 4Reall
- DJ Switch
- Feli Nuna
- Anita Erskine
- Africa 1 Media
- Value Advertising
Record Labels we represent include:
- Universal Music (SA)
- Twist Legacy Entertainment
- Kasarock Entertainment
- Sarkcess Music
- Golden Child Entertainment